Monday 10 September 2012

HTC One S - Bad design or what?.

As part of my mobile phone contract, I can get a new handset every 2 years. As my time was due, I popped-along to the nearest '3' Store to discuss my options.
Option one was a Samsung base-model Android phone, whilst option 2 was the more up-to-date HTC One S.

What I failed to realize at the time (mainly because '3' don't give you the exact model) was just what a waste of plastic a One S is.
Sure, it fires-up into Android 4.0 from cold in under 15 seconds (unlike the 90 seconds my previous Android 2.1 powered Samsung Portal/Galaxy/Spaca (depending where you live) takes). Yes, the phone is quick to react to finger-swipes and can load web pages faster than an iPhone and take still photos at the same time as HD video, but there is something fundamentally flawed about it.

There is NO Micro-SD card support, so you are limited to the crap 16Gb of onboard memory, which by the time you have added a few apps (as you do), any chance of being able to shoot a decent amount of full-HD video is severely hampered by a lack of memory.
To get around what can only be described as a design error, HTC have very helpfully done a deal with Dropbox to give you a free 25Gb account (good job I'm on an uncapped data plan). Trouble with this is you can only have one Dropbox account on a PC so if like me, you already have the free 2Gb account, you are stuffed as far as linking a PC to the HTC-funded 25Gb one as well.

Don't get me wrong. As a phone, it works well (apart from not actually being able to display your phone's number) and it takes some good photos even indoors. The one saving grace is how cheap and easy it is to unlock. All I need now is a Micro-SIM to full-SIM adaptor so I can take the SIM out and put it in my old phone, thus freeing-up the HTC to sell (unlocked smartphones go for a premium in the UK ). So, it will soon be 'Goodbye HTC One S' and 'Hello replacement'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although it has some drawbacks but this phone is super fast and responsive. It's really nice to use....

HTC One S